It doesn’t matter as to what is your approach about social media management, it’s extremely essential to comprehend more than just the definition. You want to find what are the roles and responsibilities of a social media manager and how you can help in the success of your company in this particular role.
That’s why this detailed guide will cover each and every aspect of a social media manager job while making sure that you are wholly and solely aware of each and every aspect of this particular role at the end of the day.
What exactly is a social media manager and why is this role so important for companies?
The amazing thing about a social media manager is that he/she can fit into most of the roles within an organization including a marketer, a strategist, a copywriter, a designer, an analyst as well as a customer service representative and the best part is that he can be all in one day sometime.
For someone who loves to play with challenges, being a social media manager can be a dream job. To cope up with all these assorted responsibilities needs social media managers to master a number of essential marketing and marketing-adjacent social media skills.
An efficient social media manager brings hard as well as soft skills to the table, both of which take enough time and effort to develop. Besides, hard skills like data analysis and copywriting can also studied and trained conveniently, whereas soft skills like getting organized and developing connections can be a difficult task to accomplish, but are just as vital.
Useful skills needed for a social marketing manager
One of the most satisfying and demanding things about social media management is that you are never done learning. You have to develop and refine your social media skills on continuous basis if you want to pursue your career as a successful social media manager.
Moreover, it is true beyond the shadow of doubt that the more you focus on refining these skills, the more you’ll be capable of driving the outcomes, comprehend true business influence and level up your own aptitude as a social pro.
As a social media manager, it’s crucial to have strong communication skills that can easily flex to fit any kind of platform, media, or audience. While there can be so many skills that can help deliver your message on social, the basis of communication always depend mainly on your written word. That is why; you need to up your writing game in order to excel in the social media management.
Moreover, you also need to work on your other core skills as well including creativity, traditional and digital marketing skills, customer care, developing connections, agility, and data analysis to name a few.
The educational and experience requirements for a social media manager
Although, there are no mandatory set of qualifications to become a social media manager, there are many entrants who have a degree, and some companies need this.
The unique thing about this field is that it’s open to graduates from any discipline, however if you want to excel in the field, certain subjects such as advertising, business management, digital marketing, journalism, media and communications, and public relations can be of great help.
It may also happen that employers often check personal skills, existing knowledge and experience as equally significant to a degree. In addition, an advanced (Level 3) digital marketing apprenticeship or a digital marketing degree can be a plus point.
What are the Essential Skills Required for a Social Media Manager?
Being a social media manager will definitely mean that you will have to be on and keep tabs on your community. Most importantly, it also involves being extra creative like an artist but trying to learn to be the “data scientist”.
That is why, it is necessary that a social media manager needs to develop the top skills that are needed to be successful and excel. These skills are:
- Must be brilliant at Tactics and Execution
- Sort out Strategy Planning carefully
- Community Management is a plus point
- Must have creative mindset
- Comprehend how content works on a social web
- Optimizing Content and Technology is really essential
- Excelling writing skills is the key
- Should be on top of the newest digital marketing trends
- Analytical Skills must not be ignored
- Leadership and Communication Skills are more than important
Job Responsibilities of Social Media Manager
Being a social media manager, you’ll have to:
- Manage the handling of all social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, YouTube, and Instagram etc while adapting content to ideally suit various channels.
- Ideally develop creative as well as engaging social media strategies.
- Successfully develop, effectively launch and manage new competitions as well as campaigns that can easily promote your organization as well as brand.
- Overview, plan and also exclusively deliver productive content across several platforms using the best scheduling tools such as Sprinklr, Asana, Hootsuite, and Olapic.
- Usefully create engaging multimedia content while outsourcing this effectively across various platforms.
- Effectively manage as well as facilitate social media communities by keeping up with social media posts and developing discussions.
- Usefully monitor, track, analyse as well as report on performance on social media platforms through various tools such as Google Analytics and Facebook insights.
- Effectively research and assess the up-to-date trends and techniques in order to find new and better means of measuring social media activity.
- Must recommend improvements to enhance performance.
- Set essential targets to enhance brand awareness and increase customer engagement.
- Must be able to manage, motivate and also coach junior staff
- Should educate other staff on the efficient use of social media and encourage its use within your company (in-house roles)
- Liaise with clients through various channels such as telephone, email, conference calls or face-to-face on regular basis.
Job Requirements for Social Media Manager
- Must have 3-5 years experience as social media manager
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred in business, marketing, journalism, public relations or any relevant field.
- Professional certification in Google Analytics is preferred by most of the companies.
- Relevant experience to comprehend a target audience and how to furnish unique marketing campaigns to draw their attention.
- Efficient use multi-social posting programs like Hootsuite and HubSpot.
- Efficient computer skills using Microsoft Office and Adobe Suites.
- Should have enough SEO knowledge and internet ranking for web content.
- Strong knowledge of marketing strategy and how to utilize these concepts in the best possible way throughout various forms of outreach.
- Should be able to manage and supervise a varied group of employees and simultaneously work toward several company initiatives at one time.
Digital Marketing Manager Average Salary
The starting salary of an assistant or junior social media manager is likely to be somewhere around £19,000 and £25,000, while a lot depends upon your experience too. There are more experienced social media managers that can earn between £30,000 and £40,000.
With enough experience, your salary can take a leap up to £60,000 or more. As far as freelance rates are concerned, it can vary depending on experience, but falls around £15 to £25 per hour.