How do I Start Freelancing as a Programmer on Upwork
If you are a newbie in the world of freelance programming and want to choose Upwork as a tool to show off your programming skills, you have come to the right place. This article will shed light on each and everything relevant to the aforementioned topic in full detail. Let’s dive in,
Why is Freelancing Such a Big Deal in 2021?
In the true sense of the word, freelancing means to work as an independent enterprise rather than be employed by any other individual. To put it simply, freelancers are self-employed and often referred to as individual contractors.
While being hired by companies, freelancers are hired by other companies mostly on a part time or short-term basis, but are not supposed to receive the same compensation as full-time employees or have the similar level of commitment to any specific company.
The meteoric rise of the gig-economy has made people more serious about freelancing like never before and that is why, we are witnessing an immense rise in the number of freelancing joining the industry every now and then.
Upwork and Freelance Programmers
- The very first question that pops up in mind is that how to start freelancing. The clear answer would be to look for work at freelance platforms and find easy freelance jobs without any hassle.
- These are the places that can help connect talented freelancers with their very next customer, anywhere around the world.
- Also, there are so many freelance job sites out there and every one of them have its own selling point. Some of them are huge marketplaces such as Upwork and which can give an ideal platform for almost every freelancer industry.
- Besides, there are also smaller sites that can specialize only in limited fields and focuses on smaller level jobs. You can also find innumerable freelancing programming jobs for beginners at some of these places.
- As far as Upwork is concerned, it is one of the best choices for freelance programmers, as well as several other industries. It is one of the leading and most renowned freelancer job sites, with millions of jobs posted every year.
- Upwork has a premium membership option too and also free basic subscription, although you’ll need to pay a certain portion of your income for every job that you get.
- To find work as a programmer on platforms such as Upwork, you’ll have to create a profile. You can then sit back and also wait for a client to buy your services, or proactively search the job boards for certain projects that ideally match your skills.
3 Important Tips for Freelance Programmers to Find Work
It is worth mentioning here that even the most seasoned freelance programmers can find work really hard sometimes. There can be certain potential clients that won’t know about your highly specialized talents unless you get your message right in front of them at the exact time.
1. Try to Bid at Project Sites
- You should also keep this in mind that sites such as Upwork serves as an intermediary to connect freelancers with customers in need of services.
- Search jobs by specialization on Upwork, for example, has project listings by a category such as software programming and so on.
- Remember, Upwork is also among the best freelance websites for beginners.
- All you have to do is to create a freelance profile that must include your resume, bio and also portfolio.
- This is followed by developing pitch letters to submit on projects of your interest.
- There are also limits to your ability to get a lot of high-paying projects on Upwork due to a lot of competition. However, this is undoubtedly a solid place to create an online presence and to get some initial resume-building project.
2. Opt to Leverage Your Professional Network
- One of the best freelance idea for beginners is to keep your brand in front of current as well as potential clients.
- LinkedIn is one of the most amazing online platforms for programmers to network with professional engineers, technical directors and also certain other people in particular roles.
- Opt to build a strong portfolio page and ask satisfied clients to endorse your skills and make recommendations, and get involved in groups and discussions.
- Certain agencies and corporate technical leaders source LinkedIn for certain employees and freelancers. That is why, the larger your network, the more it will be easier for potential to land ongoing work.
3. Stay Socially Active
- There are plenty of other social networking platforms that will help you to build your online presence while also staying in front of potential clients.
- It is true beyond the shadow of doubt that places such as Twitter and Facebook are also excellent channels for professional branding that include short bio details and also important link to your website.
- A professional blog can also prove to be a powerful branding and also a marketing tool for freelance programmers.
- Try to discuss topics of interest with folks in your target market and also share relevant tips that can highlight your expertise and that offer certain value to prospects.
- Moreover, you can also share your post links on social media and through other channels.
- Try to optimize your site for search to produce more traffic. Encourage visitors so that they can subscribe to your blog or newsletter and so that they can easily follow you on social media channels.
Is Upwork Good for Programmers?
Upwork can be the best place for freelanc programmers as they can make the most of their skills quite easily. There are easy freelance jobs available for freelancers and the most important part is that you can become a freelancer here while making money easily.
Moreover, there are also every type of freelancing jobs available and you can really make the most of your skills.
How Much do Programmers Make on Upwork?
An average programmer can earn $15–$30/hr while working on Upwork. However, it is also worth mentioning here that this hourly rate also depends upon your experience and the nature of company you are working for.
You have to be more than efficient if you want to help yourself in finding more work. That is why, you need to follow a multi-faceted approach to keep your profile in front of the right contacts so they can reach out to you without any hassle.